Sherman Chamberlain, M.D., FACP, FACG, AGAF, a board certified gastroenterologist, is pleased to join Saint Joseph’s Medical Practice, P.C., providing patient care related to all aspects of gastrointestinal disease.
His current appointments include attending physician in medicine in gastroenterology at Saint Joseph’s Medical Center in Yonkers, and adjunct professor of medicine at New York Medical College.
Dr. Chamberlain graduated from Harvard Medical School, with an extra year focused on the molecular medicine of GI disease. He completed an internal medicine residency at Harvard’s Beth Israel Deaconess hospital in Boston, and a gastroenterology fellowship at the University of California, San Diego, with a focus on the molecular pathogenesis of GI cancer development.
His professional experience includes 9 years of private practice in gastroenterology in Ohio, New York and Georgia. These experiences shaped his philosophy of providing patient satisfaction by taking ownership of the care of his patients’ GI issues in a timely and efficient manner. He also emphasizes communication and care coordination with his patients’ primary care physicians.
Dr. Chamberlain previously served on the faculty of the Medical College of Georgia for 12 years, ultimately becoming professor of medicine in the Division of Gastroenterology, where he spearheaded numerous basic science and clinical studies to improve patient care in GI disease. He additionally served as the college’s medical director of GI Endoscopy.
Dr. Chamberlain’s Saint Joseph’s GI practice will cover all aspects of clinical gastroenterology. He also has strong experience in providing niche GI subspecialty care, including:
- Familial/hereditary gastrointestinal cancer detection and screening;
- Small bowel GI testing for GI bleeding and for symptoms related to small bowel pathology, utilizing video capsule endoscopy and small bowel enteroscopy;
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis);
- Ablation of Barrett’s esophageal mucosa, utilizing radiofrequency ablation and endoscopic mucosal resection; and
- Removal of large polyps and flat lesions of the stomach, small bowel and colon, utilizing endoscopic mucosal resection.
Dr. Chamberlain has returned to New York to be closer to family. Dr. Chamberlain speaks English and Spanish and will be seeing his medical practice patients at 69 South Broadway, Yonkers, New York, and is available for in-patient consults, and will see Family Health Center clinic patients and perform procedures at Saint Joseph’s Medical Center - Endoscopy, 1st Floor.